Top 5 Things To Do In Savannah, GA, For Couples, Families, And On A Budget
The quintessence of Southern charm, Savanna is the place everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime. Its rich history, stunning architecture, and mysterious Spanish moss bring you into another world as if you just stepped out of a time machine and landed in the 1800s.
Sean Pavone / Shutterstock.com
Whether you want to enjoy the city’s iconic locations like Bonaventure Cemetery or Forsyth Park Fountain, or indulge in the incredibly delicious Southern food, or explore off the beaten paths on a Deserted Island – Savanna has something for everyone.
Sean Pavone / Shutterstock.com
Here are our top 5 things to do in Savannah, GA, for a romantic getaway, family holiday, or a weekend trip.
Things to do in Savannah, GA, for couples
meunierd / Shutterstock.com
There are plenty of romantic things a couple can do in the oldest city in Georgia. We have 5 suggestions for the most incredible romantic getaway:
- have a fabulous picnic at Forsyth Park, the most famous city’s attraction, and don’t forget to check out its breathtaking fountain;
- being in one of America’s most haunted cities, take a ghost tour around its spookiest sights, which is the perfect opportunity to squeeze your partner tight;
- enjoy a fancy romantic dinner in the actual ballroom or have a cooking lesson and learn how to prepare one of the super tasty Southern delicacies;
- go antique shopping and discover the funky part of Savannah while picking something truly unique and maybe even strange to remember your trip by;
- if you want to feel like you are in a movie, rent a private carriage and drive along the cobblestone streets with your sweetheart – is there anything more romantic than this?
But what if you have kids? Don’t worry, Savannah offers a number of activities you can enjoy with your children.
Things to do in Savannah, GA, with kids
Becki Kanigan / Shutterstock.com
Even though Savannah might not seem like a popular choice for a family holiday spot, kids would love it there and here are our top 5 reasons why:
- ice cream and gelato – Leopold’s Ice Cream, Tutti Frutti, Butter Pecan – need we say more?
- kids-friendly hikes – Skidaway Island State Park offers easy to hike picturesque routes and a variety of wildlife;
- marine life – the University of Georgia Marine Education Center and Aquarium boasts 16 exhibit tanks, which feature a number of sea inhabitants including 2 alligators;
- beach fun – Tybee Island is a great place for a beach weekend trip where you can swim, relax, go fishing, listen to live music, and so much more;
- delicious food – kids would particularly enjoy traditional treats like mac and cheese, fried chicken, and butter beans.
Sounds great, right? But if you are on a tight budget and have just a few days to spare, we’ve got you covered, too.
Things to do in Savannah, GA, for free
Rolf_52 / Shutterstock.com
You can busk in Savannah’s Southern charm for free. Here are our top 5 things you can do in the city that won’t cost you a penny:
- take a 90-minute free walking tour led by local historians;
- re-enact some of Forrest Gump scenes as the famous Award-winning film used a few of Savannah’s locations;
- enjoy the holy beauty of Savannah’s many churches;
- participate in Savannah’s festivities, especially St. Patrick’s Day Parade;
- take a ferry ride (yes, they are free) and observe the historic district, Talmadge Bridge and Hutchinson Island from a different point of view.
So have you started packing your bags yet? You definitely should. We can promise you an unforgettable time and are certain that Savannah will become a real gem of your traveling experiences.